Saturday, April 28, 2012

Another new-to-me sewing machine, Old Blue

I may have to join some kind of 12 step program if I buy any more sewing machines, but how can a sewer resist this beauty for $5? Now that's a garage sale find!


It works, and has the wooden table, owners manual, and extra feet & bobbins too!


The panels remind me of things that would be on the dashboards of antique cars from the 50's.


I tried to Google it, but there was no model number on the machine, and the owners manual didn't even have any company information on it anywhere. No manufacturers name, no phone number, no address... not even a "made in" stamp.

What kind of machine is it, you ask? Well, here's where it gets interesting. The machine has 2 plates on it, one that says "Remington", and one that says "Zigzag Deluxe Made in Japan".


So Remington made it, right? Well, from what I was reading online, Remington did not make any sewing machines after 1902, but this machine was definitely made around the 1950's. They would manufacture these machines in Japan, and once they reached the US, US companies would stick appealing name brands on these. Here's one tidbit I found:

"In the late 50s to early 60s, there were numerous instances of distributors marketing the Japanese machines with names that were the same or almost the same as US companies who sold appliances, cars, etc. I specifically remember Cadillac, Ford, Mercury, Remington, and Sunbeam. As I recall, the appliance mfgrs were more upset by this than the car companies, probably because they thought there could be a legitimate confusion over whether the machines were theirs. If memory serves, Remington successfully sued and stopped the use of their name, and I believe that the same distributor then started using Sunbeam. I even recall that at one time, they tried to get away with it by spelling the name "Sunbeem." "

The only downfall to this machine, is that it is missing the 20 cams it should have, for fancier stitches. Since this machine doesn't have a model number, and all I have is grainy sketches of them (in the manual) to go by, I may not be able to locate replacement cams :(. I'm going to stop in this week, to my repair guy, and see what else he can tell me. Maybe he would know. Meanwhile, I have left my number with the woman I bought it from, in case she finds them. It was her mother's machine, and she said she doesn't ever remember seeing those cams, but she will call if she finds them.

I'm getting over a nasty cold, but hope I can get some sewing time in with Old Blue this week!

8 comments:

goodkarma said...

What an amazing score! I would've snatched that one up in a heartbeat too. I hope you're able to find a little more info on it.

The Family Circus said...

There is no way I could have resisted picking this up myself! I'm a sucker for blue sewing machines! Awesome find!

Unknown said...

Are you serious $5, I would have even paid $6. I also have a blue machine that is missing a few parts. When my grandma died my brother snagged it and when he died I saw it in the garage and snagged it.

I can't bring myself to re thread it.

Maybe if you take your machine to that TV show. Antiques road show they can tell you about it!

I love it and I am so jealous of your new find.

Joanie said...

Ooooo -- that IS a beauty! I hope you are able to bring its little needle to productive life :)

Anonymous said...

would it be possible to get a copy of the manual? i just bought one at salvation army store but has no manual... perhaps you can email a pdf of the manual to: lavidaverde@gmail.com?
thanks!!

Resweater said...

Anonymous, I'd love to help, but I don't have a scanner, so I have no way to do that.

Anonymous said...

You could make some money if you would copy that manuel...I need one too.

Resweater said...

anonymous, I'm sorry, but I no longer have the machine or the manual.