Friday, June 5, 2009

Easy diaper covers


Sorry for the pause between posts! The weather is so great, and there's so much to do, so we have been out as much as possible. There may be days I miss a post here and there, now that summer is here... school is out and all the parks, pools, bike rides, and garage sales call to us. Yesterday, while I was at home, I made soakers (diaper covers) for my son for the summer. Though he's been potty trained for an eternity, he's a deep sleeper, and needs them at night. He recently outgrew the rise on his current soakers, so I made him some new ones. I am not very good at sewing or using patterns, so I was shocked they turned out so well. I used 3 sweaters, a gray lambswool, short sleeved green lambswool, and an orange merino, made 4 soakers, and have tons of material left to spare... i'll have to figure out what to make with that. Anyway, I used Katrina's Sew Quick Soaker Pattern, a free online pdf pattern (thanks Katrina!), and it was incredibly easy. I tweaked a couple of things, though. For one, my son is tall & skinny, so I used the large pattern width, and the x-large rise, instead of a short waistband I made a long fold-over waistband (in case of any growth spurts I can raise the rise by unfolding it some), and I put the seams on the outside, both for comfort, plus I think it looks cute that way. I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I added the circles on the one... a little weird looking, eh? I also added an extra layer inside in the "wet zones" for extra protection.


I'm off for another fun day... garage sales, then the local park for fun with friends & lunch. I am SO lucky to have a son that loves garage sales as much as I do!

3 comments:

Nata-Leigh (Lubbock's Mom) said...

I agree ... seems on the outside are super cute! And the circles are cute ... who doesn't like orange cirles???

Victoria Velting said...

They turned out great! Makes me want to make some! Any good tips for lanolizing?

Resweater said...

There's a dozen different ways to lanolize (all of them are the right way ;) ), but I personally like to make my own "wool wash" for washing, then I rub straight lanolin on the "wet zone". The wool wash is just a squirt of shampoo, a tbsp of lanolin, and about 32 oz of warm water shaken up in a bottle. I use about 1/2 cup of that per bucket full of lukewarm water to wash. When they are dry I rub about a tspn of lanolin on my hands & rub it into the wet zones of the wool (tspn for a full load of wool, not per piece). I know I just made it sound really complicated and hard, but it's really easy, and I only have to do this every month or so.